The challenge this week is to give away possessions that we don't need. I thought this one was going to be hard because twice a year my husband goes through the house and clears out anything not being used and has a garage sale. Every time I tell him there isn't going to be enough stuff to sell, and every single time I'm wrong. Where it all comes from, I have NO IDEA!! He did this just a couple of months ago though, so I figured it was going to be tough to come up with my goal of 7 items a day from 7 different areas of the house: office/schoolroom, three bedrooms, kitchen, closets and garage.
Turns out - not so much. Part of it is that I'm clearing out the less obvious stuff (books/curriculum) that I usually pass over, but the bigger part is that I'm not so hung up on hanging onto something that I *may* need later. I also have particular people in mind for some of these things, which makes it easier to give away something I might otherwise keep. Since starting these challenges, my perspective on what is enough has definitely evolved and I am beginning to suspect it will continue to evolve.
I went to homeschool convention this past weekend (another post on that later) and came home with almost nothing compared to past years. Not that I didn't buy anything, but I found I thought much more about whether each thing was really necessary. And yes, I still bought a few "wants" but they were selected much more thoughtfully and were fewer in quantity and dollars than they would have been a few months ago. Honestly, I was way more excited about the child we chose to sponsor through Compassion International than I was about any of the books or curriculum I bought.
So, once again, so far I'm not learning what I thought I would, but that's okay. What I am learning will stick with me long after this week is over - at least that's my prayer. Plus hopefully all this "stuff" we don't need will bring blessing to someone who really does need it and that's what this week is all about.
No comments:
Post a Comment